Sunday, November 2, 2008

Assignment #6- Looking at life through rose colored glasses

When I was young I thought life was easy. I had always gotten anything and everything I wanted. My life was good. I never in the world thought that there were "bad" people. I never thought that my family didn't get along. I didn't know that there was still racism in the United States. Where I came from I had a best friend who was black. Since I could remember black people were just people. Not different just the same as everyone else. I can't remember a specific time that this philosophy changed and I realized that there are racist people all around me. I think just recently as I have started growing up in college that I have realized even more how ignorant people are. I think the most specific time I can remember was just recently at a football game and I was wearing a Barack Obama sticker with some other girls in my house. We found seats and went to stand. There was a boy standing next to me that one of the girls knew. He was in a frat here at Iowa State. I said my hello's and then he suddenly saw my sticker. He said to me, "Do you honestly think that Obama is going to win?" I said back, "Yes I do and I believe that he will win." He replied back to me, "I will never have a black man as my president." That was it. No logical explanation about why he didn't like this man or anything. Just a simple answer that I did not ask for. This is when it truly hit me. That shattered my perception of people of all kind and opened my eyes to how the true colors of a person may matter to some but the colors that come from the insde are the ones that matter to me.

No comments: