Sunday, September 14, 2008

Assigned blog #2

I was walking to class one day minding my own business walking past the greenhouse and out of the corner of my eye I saw something small flash by. I ignored my sighting thinking it was just a bunny or a squinny running along trying to find food for the winter when all of a sudden I saw this figure again. This time I saw it more clear. I thought it looked like a dwarf but why would a dwarf be here? At Iowa State? This was impossible, but my curiosity got the best of me and I felt as if I were drawn to the greenhouse. I have always just walked by the greenhouse not thinking anything of it and assuming you had to have permission to go in. As I heard a door slam around the corner I knew the dwarf like creature had gone into the greenhouse through that door. I walked up to the door and peeked in like a kid looking through a frosted window at Christmas time admiring a toy they want under the tree. I felt rediculous. How can this be happening? I opened the door and to my surprise I saw nothing. I felt nothing. I thought to myself what is the deal? As soon as I was about to walk out the door I heard a bustling in the bushes. I walked over to the bushes pushed the brush aside and to my amazement I saw another world. There were leaves as big as I was, spiraled leaves mixed amongst one another and hanging plants with what looked like hair growing off of them. As I walked closer and closer to the "other world" I saw tall grass sprouting from the ground, flowers cascading around other green plants, I saw leaves with the packers colors, deep emerald and sharp yellow. I caught up to the dwarf and he was sure startled to see me. He then explained to me that this was a place for ISU botanists to come and plant new things and do experiments with them. He showed me around a while more showing me razorblade shaped plants, sharp pointy cactus, a bridge over looking a calming waterfall flowing into a pond with gold and black spotted fish in it. There were bright purple orchids which smelled like spring and a plant that moved after you touched it. It was a beautiful place with beautiful smells, and visions. Soon as my tour came to an end the dwarf explained to me that it was time to go but I was welcome anytime! Let's just say this will not be my last experience in the greenhouse.

No comments: