Friday, December 5, 2008

Fuzzy Scarves and Fresh air

Life is an unusual thing to think about. At times it is too much to comprehend and I believe that my mind could never fully wrap around the idea of it. I could think for hours at a time about life. I think everyone has different definitions of life such as, You live and you die and that is all it's about. Others like to compare life to a roller coaster ride. There are ups and downs but either way your on the ride and you have to take it for what it's worth even if it isn't enjoyable. I like to think about life in both aspects. There are good times, bad times, great times and worse times. You might be in significant, or you might be the center of all. Either way you are alive. Either way you are living and you are in charge of your life. It is all about choices. The next question that comes along is...are some choices fate or is everything sporadic? Do things happen for a reason? Do people die for a reason? Or was it just a coincidence? I suppose we will never know. How do you know if you actually made a difference in this world? Sometimes you feel like Hey, I am just one person what will it matter if I do it? I'm only one person I can't make a difference. I told this to my dad about something or another and he told me a story. An old man was walking along a beach throwing starfish that had been washed up on the sand back into the ocean. A younger guy in his 30's was strolling by stopped and said, " what are you doing? Throwing back one doesn't make a difference there are at least a hundred still on the beach." The old man smiled and picked up another one and threw it back and said, " It made a difference to that one." Starfish Pictures, Images and Photos
This story still makes me smile. And I will remember it for the rest of my life. A smile can change the world. Your smile can change the world. Now that to me is the definition of life.

No comments: